Local Island Dumb Bread
Recipe from Virgin Islands Cooking by Carol Bareuther
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons dried shredded coconut, if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients to form a dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, or about 10 to 15 minutes. (Dough will be somewhat stiff.)
- Roll into a ball, then flatten slightly with the palm of the hand.
- Place loaves on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree over for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned.
- Let cool briefly, then cut into ten wedges.
- Makes 10 servings. Per serving (with coconut): 272 calories, 11 grams of fat, 2 milligrams cholesterol and 388 milligrams sodium.